Friday 30 April 2010

Top 5

This week, Ben has assumed the guise of the all-seeing-eye.

His omnipotence has assembled the following 'Top 5' list of his favourite corners of the creative industries.

enjoy.love

EXPATRIATEBAND.com


1. Planes - www.flightradar24.com
My favourite computer game as a kid was Flight Simulator. Boy-nerd I was. Apart from music, aviation is my greatest enjoyment and fascination.

I can spend much time, particularly late at night, clicking on different planes and observing where each of them have come from and where they're going to. I imagine what its like on board as they fly across the black-milk sky, who are the passengers and what are their life stories?

2. Wonders of the Solar System - http://bit.ly/9KAdeB
This recent BBC series is a true gem. You can just imagine the enrolment lines for next semesters astronomy class winding out the university gates.

In my mind, Brian Cox would make the best older brother - wise and cool. I'd watch this before going to bed and would fall asleep dreaming of the universe and my diminutive place in it.

3. Eating cake by yourself on Sundays (only) http://bit.ly/d5YwwM
Time alone is a good thing - at least for me it is. Spending it with a piece of cake, on a Sunday, is even better.

4. M.I.A Born Free: (Warning: the violence in this is extremely graphic) www.miauk.com
Like everyone who watches this I was shocked. But, I believe its a pertinent statement to make - especially, in this day and age of the 'Gaga' video-commercials. It's political, it's punk-rock and, while stylised, you can feel the pathos that both MIA and the director are trying to bring to the piece. The sad thing is, it's likely to cause more controversy than seeing images of the real thing. www.miauk.com


5. Richard Wright - http://bit.ly/5UvdsN
Most artists, in whatever domain, hope for their body of work to occupy the physical realm in some way for eternity. Be it on canvas, a brick wall, a gallery space, on a CD or in sculpture. A part of you lives on after you don't so your life's work can be hailed, denounced or whatever...

I'm fascinated by this British painter - not just because he won the Turner Prize for his abstract, wall-covering painting in gold leaf. Because, Wrights ethos regarding his work is the opposite from the one just described. He intends for his works to be temporary and, in fact, they should be destroyed after being exhibited. It's the viewers memory that is his intended vehicle for parking his life's work, so to speak. See this while you can at Tate Britain - before destruction reigns. I think its beautiful.

No comments: